Agreement Making I explores the elements of successful agreements in relation to land access, cultural and heritage protection, environmental management and related economic development initiatives. This program specifically focuses on preparation for agreement making, particularly in relation to the negotiation team and community engagement with the process, as well as options for agreement content. Past programs have included presenters such as Ciaran O'Faircheallaigh and Cameron Syme.
Past program topics have included:
- Legal considerations in making agreements
- Designing processes to support sustainable agreements
- Resourcing: funding the process and determining any need for external resources (eg experts)
- TO negotiator perspectives (different TOs each program)
- Building and running of the negotiation team
- Community engagement protocols to ensure the nt group remains engaged
- Establishing a position – what outcomes do the nt group want?
- Provisions for positive outcomes and implementation
Specific agreement types (determined in consultation with NTRBs):
- Oil and gas
- Public infrastructure