A program for senior native title lawyers
Legal Masterclass focuses on specific aspects of law which NTRB/NTSP senior lawyers have identified as pivotal to their native title work. The Masterclass enables experienced legal staff to further develop their knowledge and technical skills through sharing their experiences and insights, whilst drawing upon a diverse range of expert presenters.
Topics for the 2015 program included:
- case updates from the past 12 months including: the discontinuance of the Gibson Desert Nature Reserve compensation claim; comparison of three recent cases highlighting the unpredictability of native title judgments
- compensation processes: lodging and running compensation claims
- ethical issues around respondent parties calling claimants as witnesses in native title proceedings
- re-thinking agreement making including updates from NTRB practices around the country
- authorisation and decision making
- gaining the most from conferences of experts through: the strategic timing of the conferences; knowing when to seek orders for a conference; draft propositions and how to use the report to help shape the hearing
- structured discussions to share approaches, challenges and solutions.